Playgroup Australia Ltd. (“Playgroup Australia”) recognises the importance of protecting the privacy of our customers and other third parties who provide their personal information to us.
What personal information we collect
When used in this policy, “personal information” has the meaning given to that term in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).Personal information generally includes any information that can be used to personally identify you.
The personal information we may ask for will depend on the type of relationship you have with Playgroup Australia, for example, whether you are a member, client, donor, participant, job applicant, employee, volunteer or potential volunteer.
Examples of the types of information collected includes, but is not limited to:
- your contact information such as name, address, email address and phone numbers;
- dates of birth and gender
- bank account details or credit card information (for payment of membership or services);
- information from previous employers or referees; and
- specific information directly relating to a service we provide, for example, ethnicity to ensure we provide a culturally appropriate service or blue/yellow card for working with children.
- Examples of the type of sensitive information that may be collected in such circumstances include:
- health information
- racial or ethnic origin;
- religious beliefs or affiliations;
- professional memberships;
- membership of a trade union;
- sexual preferences or practices; or
- criminal history
- Sensitive information will only be collected with the individual’s consent and the following apply:
- the information relates to the activities and functions of Playgroup Australia; and
- the information relates solely to the members of Playgroup Australia, or to individuals who have regular contact with Playgroup Australia in connection with its activities and functions
We may also collect information from you that is not personal information because it does not identify you personally. This information is normally retained with your personal information and may include:
- your marketing preferences, including the type of marketing materials you wish to receive and the method of delivery (email, direct mail, or other), and
- information you provide to us via our website, application forms, or directly to our employees in relation to our services.
We may also collect information from public record and third parties.
How we collect your personal information
Normally we collect information from you directly, unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so.
Collection of your personal information can occur through the following interactions:
- when you access and use our website
- when you sign up for our services, including workshops
- during conversations with our employees
- when you communicate with us directly (by email, telephone, direct mail or anymother means)
- when you interact with us during competitions or special events, or
- if you are a candidate for employment, when you complete forms in relation to them recruitment and selection process, for the purpose of assessment.
We may also collect solicited personal information indirectly, through publicly available sources, or through social media sites, like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
We may also collect personal information about you from the following third parties:
- if you are a candidate for employment, we may collect information about you from your nominated referees, where you have authorised us to do so.
Cookies, IP addresses and Social Media Platforms
We may gather your IP address (that is, the electronic addresses of computers connected to the internet) to analyse trends, administer the website, track users’ movement, and gather broad demographic information. This information does not identify you personally.
You may wish to participate in the various blogs, forums, and other social media platforms hosted by Playgroup Australia. Playgroup Australia cannot be held responsible if you share personal information on these platforms that is subsequently used, misused or otherwise appropriated by another user.
Our websites and social media platforms may contain links to other websites and platforms operated by third parties over which Playgroup Australia has no control. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party websites. Third parties are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
How we hold your personal information
We may hold your personal information in either electronic or hard copy form.
If you provide information to us electronically we retain this information in our computer systems and databases. This includes computer software programs, internet servers, and hosted internet solutions provided by third parties.
If you provide information to us in hard copy (paper) this information is normally retained in our files and a copy is made to our electronic files.
Using personal information
We collect your personal information so that we can carry out the following actions (“Purpose”):to verify your identity;
- to provide programs and services to you, to manage and account for the programs provided and to improve these programs;
- to report to government or other funding bodies;to process payment
- and donations and provide receipts;
- to manage our relationship with you including responding to requests, queries, feedback or complaints;
- to communicate with you on a number of matters including events, causes, programs, products or services that we believe may interest you;
- to provide you with and manage access to protected areas of any Playgroup Australia or related website or social media platform;
- for administrative purposes;
- to update our records and your contact details;
- for purposes relating to engagement of our employees, volunteers and contractors;
- to conduct surveys, research and evaluation activities;
- to meet regulatory obligations; and
- for any related purpose
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about products and services offered by us or our partners or suppliers via email, SMS, or regular mail.
If you have indicated a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method wherever practical to do so.
You may opt out of receiving marketing communications at any time by responding via the channel in which you received the marketing communication, or by contacting us (see contact information below). You can unsubscribe from emails by clicking the unsubscribe link on the footer of the email communication you have received.
You may also receive marketing communications by post from our partners and suppliers who provide certain goods and services for us, but this will only occur where you have requested that type of information from us or from a third party.
We do not provide your personal information to any other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing.
Playgroup Australia does not otherwise disclose personal information without your permission unless the disclosure is:
- Required or authorised by law, including without limitation the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act
Disclosure of your personal information
Your personal information may be disclosed in connection with any Purpose to any of the following:
- our employees, contractors or service providers, to the extent reasonably necessary to fulfil our obligations to you. This may include internet service providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers and payment processors
- our business advisors, including lawyers, auditors and accountants
- suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing and related purposes
- if you are a candidate for an employment position involving a third party with whom we have an agreement, to that third party to assess your application, and
- if required by law, to any person authorised by such law. This may include the police service, ambulance service, or government departments or regulators within Australia in connection with law enforcement activities.
We may disclose your personal information to our third party service providers including web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, research and marketing agencies, consultants, professional advisors and experts such as accountants, solicitors and business advisors.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
As a condition of employment or contract, Playgroup Australia’s personnel are required to respect the confidentiality of information and the privacy of individuals.
Playgroup Australia will take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information it collects, uses, retains or discloses is accurate, complete and up to date and is protected from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We may hold your information in either electronic or hard copy form.
As our websites and social media platforms are linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk.
Wherever practicable, Playgroup Australia will store personal information on data servers that are owned or controlled by Playgroup Australia and are located in the geographical borders of Australia. However, some of your information may be transferred, stored, processed, used or disclosed overseas if our service providers are located overseas.
Website & Transaction Security
At Playgroup Australia, we are aware of the security and privacy issues surrounding the use of the Internet. As a result, we have taken every precaution including the use of Industry Standard 128-bit Secured Socket Layer (SSL) encryption for the transmission of credit card data and personal information when purchasing from our website. We ensure that our website is of the highest standard providing a secure facility for the safe purchase of items.
As a further precaution and to provide the absolute highest level of security and protection for our customers only a minimal amount of personal information is stored and at no point do we store credit card or bank information in our database.
If you have any questions regarding our security policy, please contact our customer support centre email@example.com.
If you send us personal information that we have not requested, or we determine that the personal information you have provided to us is not reasonably necessary or directly related to any of our functions or activities, we may de-identify or delete this information without notifying you to protect your privacy.
We may send you direct marketing communications about our programs, services and events that may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). At any time you may opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications from us by contacting us or by using opt-out facilities provided in the communications.
If you do not wish to receive direct marketing communications from us, please either unsubscribe where applicable or contact us on phone 1800 171 882 or email
If we are unable to collect your personal information
If we are unable to collect your personal information, some or all of the following may occur:
- we may be unable to provide services or products to you, to the requested standard or at all
- we may be unable to communicate with you to provide information about products and services that you have registered for from us, or may intend to register for in the future
- we may be unable to tailor the content of our marketing/newsletter communications to suit your preferences
- your experience when interacting with us may be delayed or not as efficient as you may expect, or
- if you are a candidate for employment, we may not be able to process your application for a position at Playgroup Australia
How you may access your information
Playgroup Australia has appointed its Chief Executive Officer as the Privacy Officer. The Privacy Officer can be contracted as follows:
Phone: Toll free 1800 171 882
Mail: The Privacy Officer
Playgroup Australia Ltd.
Wotso Building, 490 Northbourne Ave
Dickson ACT 2602
You may also access your own information where it is held via on online portal by accessing your own account over the internet.
Normally we will provide a record of your personal information to you via your preferred contact method (phone, email or mail), and we will not charge a fee.
If your request is unlawful or may interfere with the privacy of others we may reasonably refuse to provide access to your personal information.
Correction of your personal information
You may request access to your own information to update, inspect or delete your personal information by contacting Playgroup Australia. You will need to verify your information. Where permitted or required by law we may refuse to do so. Where there is a dispute about the facts we may note this dispute. Where Playgroup Australia is not able to comply with your request you will be notified. Playgroup Australia reserves the right to charge a fee for this service.
If you feel your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information above setting out the circumstances and reasons for your complaint.
Our team members will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 48 hours, and will normally respond to your request within 7 business days. If your complaint is complicated or requires further investigation our response may take additional time to finalise.
We will respond to you by your preferred contact method if you have indicated one.
Phone: Toll free 1800 171 882
Mail: The Privacy Officer
Playgroup Australia Ltd.
Wotso Building, 490 Northbourne Ave
Dickson ACT 2602